Booster Shots for Eligible Faculty and Staff
Requirements & Exemptions
All Duke University students, faculty and staff must submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
Outside Vaccination Reporting
Due to high demand and low supply, booster appointments may be limited. Please check back regularly as more appointments will be added as vaccine becomes available.
Duke is offering appointments for the bivalent booster shot to eligible faculty, staff, students, contractors, and volunteers. Below are the eligibility criteria for the booster:
The Pfizer bivalent booster is available to those ages 12 and older.
- The Moderna booster is available to those 18 and older
- The bivalent booster is only available to those who have had the two-shot primary series of the mRNA (Pfizer or Moderna) or Novavax vaccines or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Those who recently received an initial vaccine shot or a booster should wait two months before getting the new bivalent booster.
- Anyone who recently tested positive for COVID should wait 90 days after the onset of symptoms or a positive test before getting the new bivalent booster.
The CDC also said that individuals can choose any of the boosters now authorized regardless of the brand of their original shot. Duke medical experts suggest that anyone who received the J&J vaccine preferentially get a booster shot of either Pfizer or Moderna, which are highly effective in preventing severe illness.
Duke is currently offering the Pfizer bivalent booster. The CDC has given individuals authorization to receive a Pfizer booster in place of either Moderna or J&J as a part of the CDC’s authorized “Mix and Match” vaccinations. If an individual still prefers to receive the Moderna vaccine, then please visit local pharmacies or federal vaccination locations. For more information, please visit the CDC's website.
Students and employees interested in a bivalent booster shot can visit Duke Clinic 1J (walk-in only) located at 40 Duke Medicine Circle or schedule an appointment at one of the locations listed below.
Duke Medical Pavilion: (Pfizer only)
10 Duke Medicine Circle - Room 2w91
- Appointments required
- Directions and Additional Vaccination Information
- Friday, September 9: 7:30 a.m. - Noon
- Thursday, Sept 15: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Friday, Sept 16: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept 22: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Friday, Sept 23: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept 29: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Friday, Sept 30: 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Duke Raleigh Hospital
3300 Executive Drive (Medical Office Building 9) - First Floor (Map)
- Fridays 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Team members may walk-in for their vaccine.
1400 Morreene Rd, Durham, NC, 27705-411
- Wednesday, Sep 14: Noon - 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sep 21: Noon - 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sep 28: Noon - 4 p.m.
- Schedule an appointment